Workshop A: Coping Strategies for Adults in the Climate Crisis
- Handout for Workshop A Participants
- Climate Dialectics in Psychotherapy: Holding Open the Space Between Abyss and Advance Janet L. Lewis, Elizabeth Haase, and Alexander Trope Psychodynamic Psychiatry 2020 48:3, 271-294.
- Weingarten, Kaethe. “Reasonable Hope“
- Ojala, M. How do children cope with global climate change? Coping strategies, engagement, and well-being, Journal of Environmental Psychology, Volume 32, Issue 3, 2012, Pages 225-233.
Workshop B: Strategies for Addressing Eco-anxiety in Children and Teens
Institute for Exposomic Research
Office of Climate Change and Health Equity, HHS
J. Marshall Shepherd, PhD
- Shepherd, JM, The Tornado – Climate Change Debate Is Distracting – 5 Questions That Should Be Asked, Forbes, Dec 13, 2021
- Shepherd, JM, 9 Tips For Communicating Science To People Who Are Not Scientists, Forbes, Nov. 22, 2016
- Video: 3 kinds of biases that shape your worldview, TedTalk with JM Shepherd
American Lung Association
- State of the Air
- Healthy Air Activist Toolkit: Join American Lung Association’s Stand Up For Clean Air movement and help build conversations around health, climate change and air quality and environmental justice.
- Unbreathable: The Fight for Healthy Air (Trailer)
Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health
- Consortium Newsletter
- State Network
- CHEF Fellowship Application
- Annual Meeting Registration
- Annual Meeting Agenda
Mental Health and Climate Change
- Thompson, Tosin, “Young people’s climate anxiety revealed in landmark survey,” Nature, vol. 597(7878), pages 605-605, September 2021.
- Climate Psychiatry Alliance: https://www.climatepsychiatry.org/
- American Psychiatry Association
- Yale Program on Climate Change Communication. A Growing Majority of Americans Think Global Warming is Happening and are Worried, Feb. 21, 2019
- Clayton, S. et al. 2017. Mental Health and Our Changing Climate: Impacts, Implications, and Guidance
- The U.S. Surgeon General Advisory: Protecting Youth Mental Health
Health and Climate
- Lancet Commission on Health and Climate. Health and climate change: policy responses to protect public health. The Lancet. Published online June 2015.
- Senay E, Sarfaty M, Rice MB. Strategies for Clinical Discussions About Climate Change. Ann Intern Med. 2021 Mar;174(3):417-418. doi: 10.7326/M20-6443. Epub 2020 Dec 15. PMID: 33315471; PMCID: PMC7737930.
- Chronic Exposure to Air Pollution May Increase Risks for ICU Admission or Death Among COVID-19 Patients Bozack A et al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021 Dec 9.
- Lewandowski A, Sheffield P et al. Patients value climate change counseling provided by their pediatrician: The experience in one Wisconsin pediatric clinic, The Journal of Climate Change and Health, Vol 4, Oct 2021.
Clinical Climate Change Annual Conferences
- 2021: Improving Patient Outcomes in the Dual Crises of Climate Change and COVID-19
- 2020: Protecting Patients and Improving Health Outcomes in the Climate Crisis
- 2019: Clinical Climate Change – Patients, Populations, and Providers and the Impacts of Global Warming
EnviroFlash: EnviroFlash is a system that sends e-mails about your daily air quality forecast. The message is the same air quality information that the local radio or television stations provide, plus suggested safety measures when levels are unhealthy. This service is provided by your state or local environmental agency and the US Environmental Protection Agency.
National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network: The National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network brings together health data and environment data from national, state, and city sources and provides supporting information to make the data easier to understand.
NYC Environmental & Health Data Portal: Explore NYC Data data on over 250 indicators and over 50 health and environment topics.
2021 Lancet Countdown Brief & Appendix: The Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change tracks 4r indicators on links between health and climate change; it is designed to provide better information to public health professionals and policymakers and accelerate their response to key threats and opportunities presented by climate change.
- Use the Data Explorer to view interactive maps, tables, and charts
- View Info by Location for county level data snapshots
- Visit state & local tracking websites
Prescriptions for Prevention
Environmental pediatricians and partners in the New York State Children’s Environmental Health Centers created “Prescriptions for Prevention” to provide information for New York families to address common environmental health concerns, including air quality and heat. To request printed copies, contact us.